Apply Before : 2020-08-13 (Closed)
No. of Vacancy
NGO / INGO / Development Projects
TERMS OF REFERENCE
POSITION: Executive Director (Open to Female candidates only)
DUTY STATION: Ucchamarga, 4 tudaldevi Baluwatar Kathmandu Nepal
ACCOUNTABLE TO: Board of directors of APEIRON
SUBORDINATES: Include Programme Coordinator, Finance Manager and Human Resource and Admin Officer
JOB TYPE: Contractual (3 Years)
RECRUITMENT TYPE: Open competition
APEIRON is a women led Nepali NGO working for a gender equal society through four main areas of interventions; Gender Based Violence Prevention and Response, Awareness and Education, Income Generation and Institutional Collaboration. It started out as an international NGO with the headquarters in Italy on 2004 and evolved into a national NGO in 2013. APEIRON fights against prejudice, violence, and inequalities so that women develop skills necessary to support themselves and their families. APEIRON helps women confront uphill battles: gender based violence, restricted access to and control over resources, low literacy, struggles to obtain legal documents, and other social and economic challenges.
About the position:
The Executive Director (ED) will have overall strategic and operational responsibility for APEIRON staff, programs, expansion, and execution of its mission. She will initially develop deep knowledge of field, core programs, operations, and plans.
This is a performance based leadership position and is responsible for the strategic management of APEIRON, i.e. formulating and implementing strategy, policy and managing the day-to-day operations (financial, human resources and administrative matters) of APEIRON in a manner that will assist to achieve APEIRON’s objectives. The incumbent is also responsible for ensuring that APEIRON develops into an organization that works for gender equal society. The position works closely with government agencies, partner agencies, donors, inter-government institutions, NGOs, multilateral and bilateral agencies, communities and the private sector to develop, coordinate, implement and attain vision, mission of APEIRON as per Theory of change.
KEY RESULT AREAS
Supported by various experts the Executive Director is responsible for providing strategic and institutional leadership across the spectrum of APEIRON operations including fund raising programs, external and internal communication, stakeholder networking and partnerships and, organizational and financial management.
1) Coordination and Policy Implementation
- Coordinate activities and programmes associated with the development and management of the APEIRON,
- Coordinate the activities and programmes of the APEIRON governing structures and serve as the focal person for the APEIRON structures and ensure appropriate action is taken on resolutions and directives emanating from these structures.
- Promote collaboration and cooperation between the APEIRON and donor and ensure that their interests, aims and expectations are embraced in the decision-making processes.
Programme Development and Implementation
- Develop and implement strategies that will ensure the long-term sustainability of APEIRON projects and enable communities realize pragmatic returns from the projects.
- Coordinate preparation of annual work plans and budget for projects.
- Project implementation must include phases from project designing to project end. (design, approval, supervision, monitoring, implementation)
Resource Mobilization and Fund Raising
Undertake mobilization of APEIRON strategic resources required to support the development of APEIRON projects through a mix of fund raising strategies which includes:
- To develop the different programs and projects as per the APEIRON's strategic planning and theory of change
- To identify and communicate the different national and international organization who are working in the field of gender equality.
- To maintain effective relationship with past, current and possible donor agencies
- Maintain and update donor's data base (who are working in similar issues to APEIRON ) and monitor their website regularly
- Maintain and update effective communication materials for the organization like brochure, website, reports, social Medias.
- Organize fund raising event for the APEIRON and its project.
- Bring innovative ideas for APEIORN's financial sustainability
- Create opportunities for the organization members to participate in the development and management of the APEIRON projects.
4) Development and Maintenance of Partnerships
- Establish and nurture key partnerships with various stakeholders, international agencies, multilateral and bilateral development partners, state agencies and nongovernmental organizations and eminent persons that would assist in the development of APEIRON.
- Promote the participation of various stakeholders including private sector, non-state actors, local communities and others in the planning and development of APEIRON.
- Raise the profile of the APEIRON and enhance its corporate image among various stakeholders and at international level in terms of its vision, mission and objectives and its capacity to deliver expected results.
- Market the APEIRON as women led Nepali NGO working for a gender equal society through branding and publication of other promotional materials.
- Ensure that there is effective communication of APEIRON to internal and external stakeholders through technically effective and least cost methods.
6) Human Resource Management, Administration and Capacity Building
- Lead APEIRON operations and ensure efficient management of APEIRON resources including development and maintenance of relevant policies, procedures and operational strategies and control systems for the management of APEIRON resources.
- Conduct periodical appraisal of the APEIRON programme to ensure that programme implementation is in accordance with APEIRON Vision and Mission.
- Prepare various reports and working documents for submission to the APEIRON governing structures and donors.
- Isolate and resolve administrative bottlenecks in progress reports from committees, working groups, consultants and staff and act on follow-up recommendations.
- Oversee the procurement of goods and services and ensure proper management of APEIRON assets.
- Develop strategies and programmes for organizational strengthening training, mentoring and coaching and creating opportunities.
7) Financial Management
- Ensures accurate and complete financial and accounting records of the organization
- Ensures that financial goals are achieved and operating expenses are within budget
- In coordination with the program and finance team, the ED will be accountable for timely preparation of program and central budgets which will be consolidated to prepare the annual budget.
- Presentation and approval of master budget from the Board of APEIRON.
- Responsible for the finance viability of APEIRON. ED shall oversee the preparation of the quarterly cash flow forecast to ensure that there is no cash deficit.
- Implement the project and central budget in its spirit.
- Quarterly review of project wise and overall budget variance reports produced by finance team.
- Initiate process for approval of variances from donors.
- Sign the cheques for payments.
- Approve payments as per limits defined by policy of APEIRON.
- ED will review the financial statements of APEIRON provided by finance team on a quarterly basis.
- ED will monitor the usage of reserve as per the ad- hoc policy.
- Ensures that financials controls are met. Risk register will be maintained and updated regularly for any identified financial risk and methods of dealing with that risk. ED will monitor and resolve the financial risks of the organization.
8) Leadership & Management:
- Ensure ongoing local programmatic excellence, rigorous program evaluation, and consistent quality of finance and administration, fundraising, communications, and systems; recommend timelines and resources needed to achieve the strategic goals.
- Actively engage and energize APEIRON board members, staffs, partnering organizations, and donors.
- Lead, coach, develop, and retain APERION’s high-performance employees of APEIRON
- Ensure effective systems to track scaling progress, and regularly evaluate program components, so as to measure successes that can be effectively communicated to the board, donors, and other constituents.
To support the Board in its strategic leadership of the organization, the Executive Director will: Report to the Board on the operational, administrative, and financial aspects of the APEIRON at each Board meeting; communicate effectively with the Board and provide, in a timely and accurate manner, all information necessary for the Board to function properly and to make informed decisions. Communicate Board decisions to the APEIRON staff, and other relevant stakeholders. Assist the Board in evolving and strengthening the overall governance of the APEIRON.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Demonstrable experience in the field of gender equality
- Proven experience in managing diverse stakeholders, government institutions, development partners, local communities, private sector. She must have practical experience and political understanding in networking with high-level government, donor and NGO officials.
- Ability to lead and manage others with integrity based on strategic direction, team work and core values.
2) Planning and Organizing
- Demonstrated experience in strategic and programme planning and provision of technical support to team members.
- Demonstrable ability to manage the APEIRON staff based on clear objectives; allocate resources according to organizational priorities in a complex environment.
- Demonstrable ability for excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to defend and explain difficult issues on key APEIRON programmes to a myriad of stakeholders.
- Demonstrated managerial and supervisory capability with an ability to provide clear and compelling direction and ability to empower others to translate vision into results.
- Establish and maintain relationships with a broad range of stakeholders.
- Proven ability to build organizational capacity through resource mobilization, partnership development, staff recruitment and talent management.
Education + Experience
- Masters in (gender, sociology, women studies, gender studies)
- 7 years working experience, at a senior management position in reputable national or international organizations. Fundamental Requirement: Experience in the gender issues management.
- English and Nepali are the APEIRON working languages.
- Fluency in oral and written English is a must
- Demonstrated skills in change management and innovation towards a NGO culture, is a pre-requisite.
- Ability to work in a complex environment and ability to travel within APEIRON and projects sites.
Application Procedures: Candidates fulfilling the criteria mentioned above may send their completed CV and cover letter by 13th August 2020 to the email address mentioned below. Email: email@example.com
Only shortlisted individuals will be contacted for further process. APEIRON reserves the right to reject any or all applications. Telephonic enquiries will not be entertained.
APEIRON believes in knowledge, skill, attitude, aptitude, commitment and dedication, and promotion of diversity within the organization.