Senior Research Associate
Research & Development
Apply Before : 2021-02-26 (Closed)
No. of Vacancy
NGO / INGO / Development Projects
CIMMYT nbsp;is seeking an experienced professional to support the Cereal Systems Initiative for South Asia (www.csisa.org) project funded by the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation and the US Agency for International Development. CSISA is CIMMYT’s flagship for sustainable intensification in South Asia and incorporates programming across the innovation to impact continuum in Nepal, Bangladesh, and selected states in India.
Position Title: Senior Research Associate
Reference No: N20176
Duty station: Kathmandu
Major duties and responsibilities
- Take a leadership role in the development and implementation of complex research techniques with a focus on survey data, multivariate statistics, and machine learning and procedures analysis of field data.
- Take a leadership role in the design, the research and the implementation of techniques for field measurements with high-tech equipment.
- Supervise data analysts staff working in the unit, to ensure the techniques are performed or the crops are developed in compliance with established quality standards.
- Take a leadership role field research and surveys activities as assigned and report abnormal situations that arise in the development of the project assigned.
- Take a leadership role and carry out special investigations as assigned by the manager/project lead.
- Make regular reports and tables that allow the program scientists to track their projects.
- Assist and/or lead in writing papers for international scientific journal standards.
- Under supervision of project supervisor, perform statistical analysis of the information collected in each of the stages of the cropping and farming systems cycles, through the development of a database, in order to present reports on the results achieved by the project.
- Participate and lead in the publication of research results through annual reports, presentations and publications.
- Participate in special projects and take a leadership role in liaising with other research institutions and international organizations.
- Take a leadership role in the training and updating of knowledge and research techniques, to the rest of the staff working in the unit and keep updated on new research techniques or processes.
- Visit and supervise other CIMMYT field trials and/or research fields of collaborators.
- Take a leadership role in the design and deployment of field surveys and interviews with farmers, and analyze this information, for inclusion in CIMMYT publications.
- Review publications for their inclusion into the database and collect information on the agricultural sector, to prepare articles and economic reports.
- Take a leadership role in maintenance of cloud computing procedures and database storage and curation.
- Keep a check on inventories of products and materials used and request a replacement when required.
- Coordinate efforts to raise awareness about project activities, products, and outcomes among stakeholders, partners, policymakers, and the general public.
- Assisting in monitoring and evaluation and reporting efforts by providing quality input and reports in a timely manner (as indicated by project lead).
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Advanced knowledge of relevant research protocols and policies of the function.
- Specialized knowledge in multivariate statistics and machine learning analysis.
- Medium to advance managerial competence.
- Demonstrated record of quality peer-reviewed publications, ideally led by the candidate.
- Requires conceptual knowledge of theories, practices and procedures within agricultural and farming systems research science.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills in English.
- Demonstrated ability to write, publish, and disseminate technical reports.
- Ability to work in a multi-disciplinary, multi-institutional, and multi-cultural environment.
- Complexity of thinking needed: Work is complex and technical in scope.
- Regularly requires a combination of mental abilities such as probing, analysis, careful judgment, flexible and original thinking, and creativity.
- Involves application of concepts from one discipline.
- Understand the linkages with other disciplines. Create multi-disciplinary projects and initiatives.
- Ability to identify and finalize solutions to field problems (seeds, soil, and water management, integrated pest management, farm machinery, nutrient management, post-harvest operations).
- Chooses options / solutions for complex problems.
- Interpersonal skills:
- Frequent contact with people other than immediate colleagues and with external entities.
- Ability to communicate and relate effectively, internally and externally is important.
- Purpose is to share information, and secure the cooperation and commitment of individuals, large project teams, or external institutions.
- In addition to effective communication, the jobholder has to motivate and provide leadership.
- Information Technology needed: Proficiency to use standard software at an advanced level; may include some use of database or research applications; knowledge of common ICTs and their use in agricultural extension systems.
Education + Experience
- Masters’ degree in biological sciences, agricultural economics, or agronomy, or relevant social sciences of agriculturally related discipline
- At least 8 years of professional work experience in agricultural research project
Candidates must send their CV and cover letter to Recruit-Nepal@cgiar.org no later than March 01, 2021.
Please include position and reference number in the subject of your email.
Incomplete applications (without CV and cover letter, or no position and reference number on email subject) will not be taken into consideration.
Please note that only short-listed candidates will be contacted.